Monday, March 2, 2009

Excited About Races

In my last post I mentioned that I am training for a 5K race by doing the "Couch to 5K" running plan. Just today I found the race I want to run. It's on May 16th. It is so neat how excited I feel to have a real race to look forward to. It is very motivating.

If that race goes well, I think I might consider training for a beginner's triathlon they are having here on August 6th. I would DEFINITELY qualify as a beginner. It sounds kind of scary but fun, too.

I also started a new eating plan today. My mom belongs to Curves and loaned me her book. I was intrigued by their eating plan and decided to give it a try. It is a 30-day cycle, 3- phase diet. Phase 1 goes for 1 week of 1200 calories and higher protein, Phase 2 goes for the rest of the month and is 1500 calories, and then you do a 3rd maintenance phase for 2-4 weeks to give your metabolism a rest before you start the dieting cycle over again. I like the idea of this being slow and easy on my metabolism. I've got a slow one anyway and been a life-long dieter. I'm excited to see how this goes for me. I'll let you know.

I'm creeping toward my 50 lb. goal. I'm approximately 1/2 way there. I wanted to be there by the end of this month, but I'm seeing that is pretty unrealistic. I don't want to do this too fast and gain it back again. My new goal is to be there by summer.

For exercise, I'm doing the Couch to 5K plan three days a week and filling in the rest of the time with videos from Netflix. My favorites are the ones by Ellen Barrett. I love the Pick Your Level Weight-loss Pilate's and even though it is really cheesy, I do like Jillian Michael's Cardio Kickbox. I'm also doing the Bikini Ready Fast but don't worry, I was only teasing about running my 5K in a bikini. The world is not ready for that yet, and neither am I. Ha Ha!!

5 comments:

Lori said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lori said...

(Sorry, not sure what happened with the last comment)
I have always wanted to do a race, but I've always been intimidated by how I would even start something like that. You sound like your doing well. I may have to check into your work out plan.

Becky Avella said...

I got your first comment in my email. I wonder why it got deleted? OH well...

You should look into the running plan. There's a link to it in the post before this one. I'm only on week two, but feel like it is doable because there is a lot of walking right now.

I'm excited about the diet plan. I think what I like the best is that there is change. I get overwhelmed by thinking "I have to do this forever." But Phase One is only 1 week. I keep thinking, "I can do this for one week, and then there will be a change." I like the idea of that. I'll let you know how it goes.

Anonymous said...

You go Becky!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for two things: As I was cleaning out your closet (getting ready for my sewing room) I ran across my foam roller that I bought when I was down there, stored away and never used! How stupid of me--I'm now going to get it out and use it, especially on my back. Also thanks for the picture of Ben Ben. I miss him Sooooooooooooooo much. Mom