Monday, October 5, 2009

Ten Pound Tuesday Begins!



It's kick-off day! Are you ready?

I shared with you in my last post that I've had a hard time getting off the last 10 pounds. I'm down 51 pounds from September '08 and only have 10 more to go to cross the finish line.

I needed a push to get there, and many of you volunteered to join me. I'm looking forward to the support and encouragement we'll be able to give each other. You can join in at any point. The more the merrier. : ) Feel free to use the picture above if you want to blog about this or to put on your sidebar.

I wanted to share a little of my vision for how this will work. I see this being about support, accountability, inspiration, and fun.
Timeframe: Before Thanksgiving

I thought getting there by Thanksgiving would be reasonable and a great way to start off the Holiday season.
(Then we can do something different to support each other through the holidays)

Accountability:
Each Tuesday, I'll post "Ten Pound Tuesday" where I'll tell you my results,
challenges, and goals for the week. You'll be able to link to your blog if you are sharing your efforts there, or you can tell us how you did in the comments section here if you don't have a blog or aren't ready to go quite that public. It's totally up to you. You never have to tell us how much you weigh. I'm not planning on telling you how much I weigh, either. : )

Inspiration:
I found this book online and after reading excerpts I thought it looked like a great fit for me. I'm ordering it and will be reading it and blogging about it throughout this challenge. You don't have to buy the book to play along, but it would be fun to know others are reading along with me, so let me know if you do.

Fun: OK, now you're wondering how losing weight could ever be fun. I'm working on that. : ) For now though, I think it will be fun for you all to "meet" each other. I know a lot of you, but I am excited for you to get to know and cheer on each other. I'm hoping along the way we'll all plan some rewards for ourselves, and I'd like to throw in a few little giveaways. As always I'm on a budget and want these to be calorie free, so they will be little and not Starbucks this time. : )

How to Begin:

1. Use the comments here to introduce yourselves to one another. Tell us a little about yourself and your goals for this.

2. Make a plan! I truly believe you can't just want to lose 10 pounds. I'm hoping everyone will pick something healthy, no grapefruit diets or starvation plans, promise? Remember lasting change is the goal. Over the next few days, I'll share what my plan is going to be, but here's my disclaimer- I'm not a doctor or nutritionist, just a girl trying to lose weight, sharing with her friends what's working or not working for me.

3. Optional- Order The Dieter's Prayer Book: Spiritual Power and Daily Encouragement by Heather Kopp

4. Optional- Become a follower of this blog so you'll know when I've posted. It is a little less consistent than my personal blog, so following lets you know when I've updated other than Tuesdays.

Can't wait to get to know each other better. Here's to less of us by next week!

8 comments:

jenifriend said...

i'm jeni and a bride-to-be. just recently i wasn't able to fit into my wedding dress two months ago. judging from how my pants fit, i wouldn't fit into it if i tried right now, either. i have six months to set myself on a good regimen; something i can live with. looking forward to giving and receiving encouragement here!

Emma said...

I'm Emily! I had twins in january and was about 20 lbs over weight before I got pregnant, and added a extra 40 on top of that, Oy... I've lost the 40, but would love to be able to get rid of that extra 20! I'm a farely healthy eater, but I lack in exercise. I tried running, but got to the point where I dreaded getting on that treadmill everyday, and I don't want to dread my workout. I love walking, but being able to do it with a 2 year old and two 9 month old babies running around is practically impossible! The one advantage I have is that I am still breastfeeding the girls. I'm sure that has been the reason for a lot of my weight loss already! Now it's just that last little push to the end of it, and it's hard to stay motivated. Hopefully this will help out :)

B.D.Riehl said...

I'm Riehl Mama. I have a 21 month old daughter and a 7 weeks old daughter. I had an unplanned C-Section this time around and am anxious to be active!
I became unexpectedley pregnant with baby #2 while nursing baby #1, so my body has belonged to someone else (nutrition wise) for almost 2 years! And I'm nursing, so I have another year to go. I want to eat healthy and get in all the calories I need to ensure good health for baby 2. Mostly I want to be active again. I have a hard time getting started on a fitness schedule, but love it once I do. I really would love to run a mini marathon or something next summer. And I'm NOT a runner! I really just want to eat right and be active. Much less time eating and watching tv and more time playing outside as a family. My husband wants to lose weight, too, so I hope this will help enrourage him!

Heidi said...

Hi, I'm Heidi. I am a mom of 4 kids. I had 4 kids by the time my oldest child was 3 1/2. It was almost impossible for me to go walking or workout with 4 little ones who constantly needed my attention.
I want to be able to get back into shape and healthy again so I can be at my best for my kids. I want to be able to keep up with them and be actively involved. My boys are playing soccer right now and I will practice with them and I can't play for very long. I would like to lose about 30 pounds overall. I love the way I feel when I workout. It's just getting myself TO workout. I believe being a part of this will help keep me motivated to reach my goal.

Heidi said...

Becky, Danny wanted me to tell you he wants to participate in the Ten Pound Tuesday also. Yay!! I am so excited to have him doing this with us.

J said...

Hey there, I'm Jen and want to be as healthy as I possibly can and to combat the slower 30's metabolism. :o) I'm just a little late coming in because I also chose this week to start homeschooling (officially anyway) my 6 year old and my 4 year old! I also have a brand new 8 week old baby and am anxious to drop these last 10 pounds. I love to be active and want to get back to my old running program eventually. I plan on accomplishing this goal by adding in cardio with my existing pilates exercise, limiting my sugar (yikes! SO hard for this candy junkie to do!), staring at my "skinny" jeans whenever possible, :o) and concentrating on eating fresh foods whenever possible. Oh, and this blog will help me be ever so motivated! Thank you Becky!!!

Seppuku said...

Hey Becky, would love to join you. :)

Marisa

Anonymous said...

Hi there -
I'm the "other" Becky. I'm excited about this, because I'm in the middle of a push to lose thirty pounds. I've lost 11, so I hope to lose at least 10 with you and then the last ten.
I'm married with no kids, but am 43, so am past the slower 30's metabolism and into the even slower 40's metabolism.
I'm an American living in the England and have been working out at Curves for over four years. I lost two clothing sizes, but not much weight as I refused to change the way I ate.
Now, I've cut my portion sizes in half, am eating more veggies and fruit, and having snacks.
We can do this together!
I would like to read that book. I'm thinking about ordering it.
Ps 27:1b The Lord is the strength of my life, of whom shall I be afraid.
I have loads of people praying for me and I think that helps.

The Other Becky